How many work days are in a year?
There are a total of 249 work days in the 2023 for a standard five-day work week. The number of working days is calculated by starting with 365 total days, removing 105 weekend days, then removing 11 federal holidays. If you count those holidays as work days, there are 260 work days this year.
- Work days per year for the next decade
- Work days calculator
- Weekdays in a year
- Weekend days in a year
- US federal holidays
- Spreadsheet tools and calendar downloads
It’s time to plan out the business calendar and you need some solid information so you can set expectations and goals by month and quarter. You need to solid info like…
- How many work days (or business days) are in a year?
- How many weekdays are in a year?
- How many federal holidays, and when are they observed?
- How many weekend days are there?
As we all know, 31 days in a month versus 28 can make a big difference on impressions, leads, and sales… just like how 249 working days versus 253 in a year. We did some of those behind-the-scenes calculations for you so you can tweak your calendar based on the number of work days in a year.
Work Days Per Year (Next Decade)
We counted the work days per year for every year this coming decade: 2023 – 2032. Every year has between 249 and 251 working days (or business days) per year. We call a working day as a weekday with federal holidays removed. Here is a summary of the types of days per year for the next ten years.
|Year||Working Days||Federal Holidays||Weekend Days||Total Days|
Work Days In A Year Calculator
Want to calculate work days for your own schedule and time periods? Use our work days calculator here.
How many working days (business days) are in a year?
On average, there are 250 working days per year based on the years 2023 – 2032. There are always between 249 – 251 work days in a given year.
We define a workday as a weekday (Monday – Friday) that is not a federal holiday. We use also work days, working days, and business days interchangeably in this article. Here are the amount of work days (or business days) in a year for the next decade:
- 2023: 249
- 2024: 251
- 2025: 250
- 2026: 250
- 2027: 250
- 2028: 249
- 2029: 250
- 2030: 250
- 2031: 250
- 2032: 251
How many weekdays are in a year?
On average, there are 261 weekdays per year based on the years 2023 – 2032. There are always between 260 – 262 weekdays in a given year.
We define a weekday as Monday – Friday. Here are the weekdays per year for the next decade:
- 2023: 260
- 2024: 262
- 2025: 261
- 2026: 261
- 2027: 261
- 2028: 260
- 2029: 261
- 2030: 261
- 2031: 261
- 2032: 262
How many weekend days are in a year?
On average, there are 104.3 weekend days per year based on the years 2023 – 2032. There are always between 104 – 106 weekend days in a given year.
We define a weekend day as Saturday and Sunday. Here are the weekend days per year for the next decade:
- 2023: 105
- 2024: 104
- 2025: 104
- 2026: 104
- 2027: 104
- 2028: 106
- 2029: 104
- 2030: 104
- 2031: 104
- 2032: 104
What are the US federal holidays?
There are 11 federal holidays each year. If you are trying to plan out further into the future, remember that the observed holidays change each year. Here are the US federal holidays for 2024:
- New Year’s Day: Monday, January 1
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday: Monday, January 15
- President’s Day: Monday, February 19
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 27
- Juneteenth: Wednesday, June 19
- Independence Day: Thursday, July 4
- Labor Day: Monday, September 2
- Columbus Day: Monday, October 14
- Veterans Day: Monday, November 11
- Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 28
- Christmas: Wednesday, December 25
Here are some other popular holidays many companies offer as paid days off:
- Friday after Independence Day (Friday, July 5)
- Friday after Thanksgiving (Friday, November 29)
- Christmas Eve (Tuesday, December 24)
- New Year’s Eve (Tuesday, January 31)
Work Year Calendar Downloads
Want to take some of this data with you? Feel free to download any of these images and datasets for the recent work years. If you choose to use it on your website, please give credit to Buildremote using this article’s website address.
Spreadsheet: 2023 – 2032 Work Calendar Dataset
We have created a Google Sheets workbook with a tab for each year from 2023 – 2032 and a summary tab for all years. Within each tab, you’ll find total days, federal holidays, weekend days, work days, and work hours by month.
Whether you are planning company holidays for the upcoming year or setting company goals by month, this spreadsheet provides important input data.
To use the spreadsheet, you have two options:
- Log into your Google account, then click “File” and “Make a copy.”
- Download the workbook to Excel by clicking “File” and “Download.”
2023 Work Calendar
2024 Work Calendar
2025 Work Calendar
Table: Work Days Per Year, 2023 – 2032
Here is how we define each term you see used in the information provided above.
- Weekdays: Monday – Friday
- Work days, working days, business days: A weekday (Monday – Friday) that is not a federal holiday.
- Weekend days: Saturdays and Sundays
- Federal holidays: Paid weekdays off from work for employees of the U. S. federal government
- Standard work week: Eight hours of work per day on Monday through Friday, totaling 40 hours per week
How To Use This Data About Working Days Per Year
As you plan out goals for each month, having 19 working days in one month versus 21 in another makes a huge difference. In fact, 23 business days provide 21% more work hours for your team and for your customers to buy. In fact, having 249 work days in a year instead of 251 is a 1% difference. Maybe that doesn’t sound like a lot, unless you have a stable and mature business growing or shrinking at just a few percentage points each year.
That’s why it is important to know the number of work days, weekdays, weekend days, and holidays in a year.
- Set monthly, quarterly, and annual goals: Understand how many working days, weekdays, holidays, and weekend days fall each month, quarter, and year. With that information, you can adjust your expected goals and returns based on the types of days that occur.
- Prepare your payroll calendar: See the full calendar of days so you know when your 24, 26, or 52 payroll dates will occur throughout the year
- Set your company holidays: Start with the list of 11 federal holidays and when they are observed. Then, add or subtract holidays throughout the calendar to build your company’s paid holiday list.
- Plan out your own vacation days: See the full picture of when work breaks will occur. When do the federal holidays fall? Which months have the most or least weekend days? Set your own vacation times for the upcoming year with useful data.
Why I Built This Resource
I ran a marketing agency called Nectafy before I started Buildremote.
We were responsible to grow website visitors and leads for companies every month. Some months, visits would drop and we would chase our tails looking for a reason why. This may sound stupid, but it took me a few years to realize the amount of work days in a month changes (semi) drastically.
In one month, there would be 23 work days. In another, there would be 19. That’s a 17% difference in work days (ie. opportunities for prospects to visit our clients’ websites). Many times, that was the answer to a drop or increase in visits.
It made me realize that this information might be valuable to other people running businesses, so I did the calculations and provided a few different resources to quickly access the information you need. I hope you find it useful.
Additional Work Week Articles
Slice the work calendar data differently:
- How many hours are in a year?
- How many work weeks are in a year?
- Work days calculator
- Work hours calculator
- Work weeks calculator
Click those links to view the same data for specific years. Or, continue reading our series about work week schedule options.
View unique work week schedules
This is part of our series highlighting unique work schedules. Have a look:
We hope you find this article useful. Just so you know, Buildremote may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page to help keep this site running.